We are involved in numerous Prevention campaigns in order to reduce the number of children being burnt and scalded in the UK.
Help us to stop scalding by hot water from taps and showers. Nearly 300 people a year are so badly burnt that they have to be admitted to an NHS specialist burns service with severe scalds from tap water in their bath, sink or shower, two thirds of these are children. The young and elderly are especially vulnerable as their skin is thinner, so burns quicker, and they have less ability to remove themselves from the scalding water.
A hot drink can still scald a small child up to 15 minutes after being poured and over 50% of children admitted to hospital have been burnt by hot drinks. These shocking statistics show the importance of increasing awareness of the dangers of scalding to young children. Our Under 5’s Resource Pack has proved extremely successful and has helped many nurseries and children’s centres to highlight these dangers to parents and carers and to introduce a Hot Drinks Policy.
Prevention and good first aid are key to reducing the number of burns and scalds occurring each year, especially in children and the elderly. The National Burn Awareness Day is an annual event held in October.
Child Safety Week is an annual campaign run by the Child Accident Prevention Trust to raise awareness of the risks of child accidents and how they can be prevented. A range of resources is available to help practitioners run local activities and events and promote safety messages in a fun and engaging way.
It is predicted that this year 500 children and their families will join the growing number of people who will remember bonfire night for the wrong reasons. They will have been injured as a result of an accident with fireworks.
We are working closely with the Scottish Burned Children’s Club to highlight the growing number of children who are receiving severe burns from hair straighteners left within their reach. As much as 30 minutes after being unplugged, hair straighteners can still severely burn and permanently scar a child’s delicate skin. After use, switch off and unplug hair straighteners, then put them away to cool down out of reach and sight of children.