Who we supported in Summer 2016
In the last 5 months, in addition to the usual emergency support to families and carers of burn injured children to help pay for travel costs etc., we have given grants to help the following burn and scald injured children and their families. We have only been able to do this because of the generosity of our fundraisers;
- We were able to buy a bed for a child that enabled them to be discharged from hospital early (so they can continue to receive the care they need for their injury but from their own home).
- We bought clothes for a child that made sure they were able to go to a burns camp, this allowed them to meet and interact with other burn injured children providing an invaluable experience for that child.
- We were able to pay for a family whose child was treated at Queens Medical Centre in Nottingham to attend a family fun weekend run by Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield. Nottingham doesn’t currently have the facilities for children and families to attend family weekends so it was a unique experience for this particular family. Family weekends allow not just the burn injured child but their parents and siblings to relax in an environment where other people know what they are going through.
- We were able to purchase therapy equipment for the Occupational Therapy department at Bristol Royal Hospital for Children, this included electronic musical play mats, therapy mats and balls, physio trampoline, a large whiteboard, popoids and play putty
- We recently bought an exercise mat to help a child who had been badly burned with physiotherapy at home. Ultimately this will mean better mobility for the child and less visits to a hospital several miles from home for them and their parents.
- We gave a grant to Whoops! Child Safety Project which helped towards the cost of printing a Baby & Child Lifesaving and Home Safety booklet.
The charity doesn’t receive any government funding and is only able to continue this work because of people like you, please do get involved or donate to the charity so we can continue to help burn and scald injured children and their families.