Take a look below to see Kyle’s story, how you can get involved with your local Fire Cadets scheme and watch the Beauty Burns awareness film.
When they are exposed to fire, aerosol cans are extremely flammable, either exploding violently or produce burning flames. The injuries caused by such burns can be severe and long-lasting, and it is vital that children and teenagers understand the dangers. In this powerful video published by Nottingham Fire and Rescue Service, 14-year old Kyle bravely tells his story of how messing around with a deodorant can led to years of treatment and how the incident has impacted his life.
Andrea Cronshaw, Clinical Nurse Specialist at Nottingham University Hospital who treated Kyle, said:
“A burn injury can be life changing for a young patient and their family.
When a child or young person comes into hospital with a burn injury they may have to attend for a long time and often require frequent dressing changes in order to help the skin heal, this can be quite daunting.
Having a burn injury can affect a child or young person in their daily activities and patients often experience ongoing problems due to the effects of scarring.
A scar will change the appearance of a person’s skin forever and dependant on the size and severity can affect the way the body and limbs work. Burn injuries can affect some children and young people in different ways, they may start to feel isolated or depressed due to changes in their appearance from a burn injury and this powerful video explains the effects following a burn injury.”
An exciting youth engagement programme
Fire Cadets is a free, nationally recognised programme offering young people, between the ages of 14 and 17, the opportunity to gain a credible qualification as well as develop their personal skills.
Many Fire & Rescue Services across the UK offer Fire Cadet Programmes – why not contact your local FRS to see if there is one in your area?”
As much as 30 minutes after being unplugged, hair straighteners can still severely burn and permanently scar a child’s delicate skin. After use, switch off and unplug hair straighteners, then put them away to cool down out of reach and sight of children. Take a look at this powerful film by Electrical Safety First.