Make time for your home’s unsung heroes: Smoke detectors
Last year over 200 people died in fires in the home. You’re at least 4 times more likely to die in a fire in the home if there’s no working smoke alarm.
The Fire Kills campaign highlights how we can help ourselves stay safe in the home by following these simple steps:
- Make sure you fit smoke alarms on every level of your home and test them monthly.
- Make testing your smoke alarm part of your household routine in 3 easy steps
- Test them by pressing their buttons once a month
- Change your battery once a year (if it has a one year battery)
- Clean the alarm casing twice a year to ensure dust isn’t blocking the sensor
- Whatever happens, never remove the battery in your smoke alarm unless you are replacing it.
- Make sure that everyone in your home knows what to do in a fire and knows your escape route.
TEST YOUR SMOKE ALARMS MONTHLY